Thursday, June 6, 2019

Croatia

We arrived in Croatia yesterday, we really had planned on staying in Slovenia but Les didnt like the feel of it and we kept on trucking.  By the time we arrived in Rijeka, we were exhausted but we knew right away that we loved it.

Sat at a restaurant and looked to book a room.  He found a place that was reasonable but he was esp. happy that it said OCEAN VIEW.  I found a place that showed a garden:  it won my heart from the start.

We went with Les's (after a short argument of course) and ended up in a slum.  I am not kidding.  I actually felt sorry for Les - no one deserves to be so damn wrong after driving so many hours! We found the building and there were derelicts around....he called the guy who came within minutes and walked us up 5 five FIVE  F I V E flights of stairs.  Mind you,  it was a  steamy hot day yesterdaay. At this point I am so upset I am silent.  That does not happen too often. 

The guy takes us to an apartment in the back of the building and it is a studio and there in no ocean view.   Where is the ocean, Les gasps??????    That one is rented he answers.  We both can't fathom this response. This is not going to work for us and with one look at each other, the guy offers to refund our money (we had booked thru bookings).   He does within the hour, 100%, which was gracious.

We get in the car and i book thru airbnb -  it is out of town about 15 minutes and Les isn't too thrilled but I tell  him:  everyone's comments say it is a great place.  The photos look good.

Here we are and it is just beautiful!  It is also a studio,  Mom lives in back and son/wife who rent out live above us.  We have a garden,  2 beds,  a fully equipped kitchen, cable tv and fast internet!  The village is in the mountains and we are about a 5 minute car ride from a most gorgeous coastline.  Paulo is most accomodating and his Mom even washed our clothes today when we asked for a local laundromat.

The village is a 5 min walk away, and it has everything you could want:  a bank, an ATM, probably  4 restaurants  (and we went to one last night, best pizza in ages and their  local draft  beer which is really smooth!), a post office, a church that rings bells during the day....in other words, this little piece of paradise is actually less expensive than Ocean View was.

I laughed so hard remembering the fiasco at the ocean view lighthouse (Les kept saying, it is called the Lighthouse apartment  LOL)  that tears were running down my face.  I laughed so hard that my amore started laughing too.   Belly laugh worth the $45 dollar fiasco he commented!

I learned that HVALA (pronounced va-la) means thank you in Croatian. 

I cannot load any more photos except this last one.  It is what we were looking at as we had breakfast on the coast this morning.  I will start taking more photos with my phone.  Have a grand day, everyone!




No comments:

Post a Comment